Welcome to Year 3 – Autumn 2023
Please find below some information about the autumn term in our class that you may find useful. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. I will strive to get back in touch with you the next day.
- PE for our class is on Mondays and Wednesdays. The children can come to school in their PE kits. In the winter that needs to be dark jogging bottoms, blue T-shirt and School sweatshirt. No logo tracksuits please. If you wear studded earing these need to be covered up at home before school commences. (It’s easier to leave all jewellery at home.)
- Homework will be given every Friday (English one week, maths the next). Please also complete 1 item from the creative grid every two weeks. Homework should be handed in by Wednesday.
- Reading books will come each night and should be in school every day. Accelerated Reader quizzes can be undertaken in school as the children finish their book. We will be checking the children’s reading records on a Wednesday and looking for at least three signatures to verify that the children have read at home.
- Spelling lists will be given weekly on a Friday for a test the following Friday. Please help your child to learn their spellings so they are comfortable when doing the tests.
- Times table tests will take place each week on a Tuesday. Tables are learned on an individual basis and any help you can give your child to recall the facts accurately will help to build their confidence. We will begin with our 2 times tables. You need full marks on 12 questions in 2 minutes on 3 consecutive tests before you change your tables. Times Table Rock Stars is an excellent resource https://play.ttrockstars.com/ and login details will be made available from us if you would like them. Hit the Button is another great game to help with learning times tables https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button no login required.
This term we will be learning about:
|Text – Stone Age Boy Satoshi Kitamura
The Boy with the Bronze Axe
Letter writing/ Book review/ Story retelling/ Instructions
|Place Value Mental Calculation Addition and subtraction
Written addition Written subtraction Measure: Length and perimeter
|Forces and Magnets followed by Rocks and Soil
|Football, Handball and Swimming
|Drawing Skills/ Prehistoric Painting – Painting and Mixed Media
|Shell Structures – Packaging
Mechanical Systems: Pneumatics
|Who were Britain’s first builders?
Changes in Britain Stone Age to Iron Age
What is a volcano & its features? Where are volcanoes located? What types of volcanoes are there? Why do people live near volcanoes?
|Singing Ballads and Hindu Theme songs.
Stringed Instruments Ukuleles
|How do Hindus worship?
|Greetings/ Numbers 1-15/ Colours/ Months/ Christmas celebrations
|E-Safety Code of conduct when online, Digital literacy linked to Stone Age Topic,
|PSHE INC. RSE
|Family & Relationships inc. Anti- Bullying, Health & Well being Healthy eating, fitness etc.
Further information about the curriculum content can be found on our school website.
View our archived Year 3 information on our website.
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.